Thursday, September 2, 2010

Random stuff and school

We went to Café Paris and I ate whale. It was good.

I went to an Icelandic bar/grill and had a plate with small servings of traditional food, but didn't get a photo of it. I liked most of it. The drink was the worst part.

I went to the school and set my laptop up so it has internet from them, but it's not wireless. The school is around five minutes walking from my flat, and fifteen minutes from downtown.

Aino and i went to the orientation for foreign students and afterwards there was a scavanger hunt and cheap drinks downtown, but we didn't go because I had to get more furniture before the store closed. Some stores seem to open around eleven or noon and close around six or seven.

There was another orienation the next day specifically for my degree but I missed my stop coming home from the grocery store on the bus and got lost, only returning home right after the meeting ended.

The next day we had our entrance exam for our degree. The instructions on the paper were in Icelandic but a lady told us them in English. There were about 65 multiple choice questions and one short answer question. We weren't told how many we had to pass or how much the short answer versus multiple choice were in points. The multiple choice questions had you fill in the blank with the correct word or phrase in various tenses, genders, and cases, or the right phrase to fit a situation.

For example: There are ____ books. (fill in with "three" in the right gender and case)

There were also multiple choice questions to choose the correct synonym or antonym for a word, and there was one reading paragraph with reading comprehension questions. The short answer questions was ten sentences saying what you want to do in Iceland this winter. You were allotted an hour and a half to finish the test, I finished in about an hour.

Everyone who passed gets put in groups and that group has its courses at certain times. Which group we're in will be put up Friday online and at the school so we'll know if we passed or failed by then.

At the Uni it's "New student days" now so they have some orientations, workshops to improve your study habits and to get you familiar with being in school again, and some activities. For example, tomorrow and the day after there's free coffee and cake due to a shop's 40th anniversary so I might go have some. Most people started classes this week but my classes will start next week.

I haven't been bringing my camera so there aren't many photos, but I'll try to take more over the next few weeks.

0 comments:

Post a Comment